Learning2gether with David Winet about the potential of Oculus Rift in language learning
Sunday June 14, 2015
Learning2gether archive blog post
What is it about?
David Winet has just written an article on his work the past two decades with StudyCom and English for Internet. In it he describes how he has pushed the envelope throughout that time finding new ways to adapt available cutting edge technologies to creating environments in which language learners would opt to learn, by doing and by communicating with one another and with native speakers; see: Winet, David. (2015). Reflections on StudyCom. TESL-EJ 19, 1 (1-18). Available: http://tesl-ej.org/pdf/ej73/int.pdf. Also (unpaginated) http://www.tesl-ej.org/wordpress/issues/volume-19/ej73/ej73int/.
On page 10, David discusses Oculus Rift as part of "A Peek into the Future"
Virtual Reality headsets such as Oculus Rift will provide an even more 3-D realistic experience for students (James, 2014). Furthermore, pairing these with robots will allow “telepresence”. For example, imagine a student whose body is in Beijing walking around New York City with the aid of a robot there, who transmits a live picture of everything it sees in the Big Apple and turns when the student wearing the Oculus Rift turns, walks when the student walks, and of course speaks with English speakers the words uttered in China by the student (Sofge, 2015).
James, P. (2014). This is the beginning of VR education, and it will only get better. Road to VR. Available:http://www.roadtovr.com/world-of-comenius-virtual-reality-education-biology-lesson-leap-motion-oculus-rift-dk2/.
Sofge, E. (2015). Oculus rift and robotic heads: A match made in geek heaven. Popular Science. Available:http://www.popsci.com/oculus-rift-and-robotic-heads-match-made-geek-heaven-0.
How this worked at showtime June 14, 2015
- You can listen to the stream in the video embed above, which was live on the day
- You can chat with us in real-time in the Chatwing space below
or open the chat in a new window here http://chatwing.com/vancestev
- You can listen to the stream at its YouTube URL: https://youtu.be/psG94wwaMPk
- If there is space available (up to 10 people) you are welcome to join us in the Hangout on Air
- It is a public hangout in the profile of Vance Stevens on Google+
- Join the conversation on the Google+ event page:
- You can join us in HoA via its direct link which appeared here when hangouts was active
- If the Hangout is full, listen to the stream and interact with us in the text chat
- You can let us know if you want to join the Hangout
- We will let you know via the stream when space comes available
- When you enter the Hangout
- Wear a HEADSET to avoid broadcasting speaker sound back into the Hangout
- Switch OFF the stream as it is on a delay and will create an echo for you
- Please MUTE YOUR MIC when not actually speaking into it during the HoA
Before, during, and after the live event, you can chat with us in the chat space above
and / or join the conversation on the Google+ event page
Connect with the Chatwing from any browser at http://chatwing.com/vancestev
Here is the archived Chatwing Chat from this session
For further information on all our upcoming events please visit
(redirects to ...